Marbella is one of the Mediterranean’s most representative tourist venues and a top favorite for travellers. What was once a small white village of fishermen is now one of the most cosmopolitan beach resorts on the Costa del Sol in Spain.
Malaga Airport (Aeropuerto Pablo Ruiz Picasso) is serviced by most European carriers otherwise fly in to Gibraltar, although this entails a 1.5 hour drive.
The main coast road (N340, now known as the A7) connects the major towns along the whole southern coast and Marbella is approx 30 minutes drive along the N340 from the provincial capital, Malaga. If you are prepared to pay the toll fee (around 4-6 Euros depending upon season) you can take the new AP-7 road which runs parallel to the N340, but with less traffic and higher speed limits means you will reach your destination more quickly.
From Malaga Airport, buy a bus ticket from the vendor facing the exit of the arrivals hall. In July 2011, a one way ticket cost under 5 Euros. The buses will arrive every hour or two on the road behind the vendor. Make sure to be there on time, since the bus leaves exactly on time, or even a minute before… The buses are modern and air conditioned. Make sure to sit on the left side of the bus if you want to see the beautiful coastal view (Although you’ll get a much better view sitting on the right in the opposite direction). Without traffic (there really shouldn’t be any, since the bus takes the toll road), the ride should take around 40 min.
Marbella’s central bus station is right off the motor way (A-7 / E-15), right off exit 164.
There are high quality regular bus services along the length of the Costa. Although cheap, the buses can run to their own timetable (!) and are often very busy in summer.
There is a train service between Fuengirola and Malaga, which due to be extended to run further down the coast to Marbella in the near future.
Taxis are available from Malaga Airport to Marbella outside AGP airport. The cost of the journey is around €68. The disabled can also pre-book a wheelchair accessible taxi or minivan online with Marbella Taxis for €65
- Hire Car - all the major car hire firms are represented, but the best value will probably come from local firms. Small car for around 80-90 euros a week in off season.
- Taxis If travelling any distance agree the fare in advance. Official rates should be displayed inside any licensed taxi. Phone 952 823 835
- The Old Town & Orange Square - although a modern town, Marbella is full of history, its origins date back to 1600 BC so it’s fair to say there is a little part of history to be found in every corner of the “old town”, with its Moorish castle, and famous “Orange Square”. The historical old quarter with the Andalucian/Moorish mix can still be found with its flower filled balconies and narrow streets.
- Walk through the Golden Mile - The Golden Mile is a stretch of four miles between Marbella and Puerto Banús, on which are located some of the most luxurious residences in Marbella, such as the Palace of King Fahd, as well as some landmark hotels, among them the Melia Don Pepe, the Hotel Marbella Club and the Puente Romano Hotel.
- Golf - If you love golf then Marbella has spectacular golf courses that have been designed by the likes of Seve Ballesteros, Peter Alliss and Clive Clark. There are more than 40 quality courses to be played throughout the Costa del Sol making it a perfect destination for the golf enthusiast. See also: Spain section of main Golf article
- Horseracing - about 15 minutes from the centre of Marbella is the Hipodromo Mijas Costa . The recently built all weather racetrack has meetings throughout the year including floodlit night racing on summer weekends. The course also boasts plenty of entertainment including bars, music and restaurants.
- Ski - Marbella is the perfect base to visit the famous Spanish Ski resort of Sierra Nevada (1.5 hours away by car)
- Parasailing activity (Parasailing activity), Puerto deportivo Marbella (Puerto deportivo Marbella), ☎ +34 682173225, . 12 minutes. The activity will be placed in Marbella (Puerto Deportivo of Marbella) and will be consisting in a 12 minutes flying over the sea, more than 70 meters hight, how big you will feel over there? You will receive your equipment (lifejacket, harness), getting ready and go to our boat. The take off and landing will be to the same boat . 55€.
- Don Quijote Spanish school in Marbella is a great school where you can take 4-6 hours of courses a day. All courses including beginner courses are taught entirely in Spanish.
- El Corte Inglés - Ramon Areces 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. +34 952 90 99 90
- Marina Banús - C/ Ramon Areces, Centro, (opposite El Corte Inglés). Puerto Banús
- La Cañada is a Shopping mall with about 150 shops with many European name brands. Located right off exit 185.
- New Yorker - Ramon Areces, s/n Centro Comercial Marina Banús 29660 Puerto Banús
- Versace - 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. +34 952 81 02 96
- Casta & Puro - Avda. de la Ribera Complejo Gran Marbella 29660 Puerto Banús Tel. +34 677 29 50 57
- Che Olé - C/ Valdés 3. 29601 Marbella Tel. +34 952 85 77 33
- La Costa Property Solutions - Urb.El Rosario, Centro Comercial, 1ª Planta – A7 Km 188 – 29604 – Marbella, Spain. Tel. +34 952 83 11 99 -
- Terra Meridiana, 77 Calle Caridad, 29680 Estepona, Marbella – Malaga, ☎ +34 951 31 84 80,. Marbella Property Sales and Rentals.
- Unique Beauty - C/Nuestra Señora de Gracia 10 Marbella, Spain 29600011. Tel. +34 952 82 77 57
- Al Dente & Champagne Bar - Urb. Jardines del Puerto, Puerto Banús; tel. +34 952 90 61 81 – Italian restaurant
- Babilonia Restaurant - Ctra. de Istan – Km. 0,8 29600 Marbella; tel. +34 952 82 88 61 – Italian & international
- Brown’s Bar and Bistro - Pino Golf de Don Carlos 18 Elviria, Marbella; tel. +34 952 838 604 – British cuisine
- El Argentino - Centro comercial elviria; tel. +34 951 310 087 – charcoal grill
- El Oceano - CN 340 Km 199, Miraflores; tel. +34 952 587 550 – international
- La Meridiana - 0.1 km N, Cno. la Cruz, S/N, 29600 Marbella; tel. +34 952 776 190 – international
- Trader Vic’s - Urbanización La Alcazaba, Puerto Banús; tel. +34 952 816 100 – international
- La Taberna del Pinxto, Avenida Miguel Cano 7 (One block from Playa de Venus). Basque style tapas. Set lunch 9 euros, tapas 1,50.
- Le Papillon Restaurant & Beach Club, /Cuesta S/N Urb Marbesa CN340 KM 193 Marbella, ☎ +34 952 834 113, . from 11AM until late. Situated on the at Marbesa. Menu which includes a selection of fresh fish and shellfish and some meat dishes. The seafood paella is popular. Sunlounger and umbrella rental service and a kids play area. (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) From €12.
- Robertos Ristorante Italiano, C/Cuesta S/N Urb Marbesa CN340 KM, ☎ +34 952 839 190, . 9AM until late. Offers a variety of home made Pizzas and pasta dishes as well as some more traditional Italian cuisine. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and does take aways. Flamenco show and a buffet night on a weekly basis. From €10.
- Pravda, Ed. Levante Loc. 4-5, 29660, Puerto Banús (front row of the Port, opposite Jimmy Choo and Dolce & Gabbana), ☎ +34 952 907 103, . 8PM-midnight. During the summer months the marina facing terrace for dining is open. €50.
- Paco Jimenez Restaurant, Plaza de los Naranjos Nº11 – Marbella (above the art gallery), ☎ 627625952. tues-sund: 7pm to 10 pm / thursdays to sundays also from 12 noon to 4pm. As soon as you enter this restaurant you can fell the passion and creativity in the paintings of the walls and the plates delicatelly and beautifully decorated. Its Mediterranean, Spanish and International food will surprise and satisfy you. The exclusive space with only 20 covers, the kindly attention, the experienced chef and the nice environment makes this a unique restaurant.
Most late night action takes place in Puerto Banús, or in one of the clubs along the 7 km road there.
- El Catalonia, Puerto Deportivo Marbella Local 4 MARBELLA – MÁLAGA (In the Marbella port.), ☎ +34 625 54 85 97, . Opens 1700. Relaxed, water front dining and drinking spot. Serve fresh, local food for dinner. Host private events. Spanish/English/French spoken.
- Dreamers - Ctra.N-340, Km.175. Rio Verde 29660 Nueva Andalucia; tel. +34 952 812 080
- La Notte -0.1 km N – Cno. la Cruz, S/N, 29600 Marbella; tel. +34 952 777 625
- Nikki Beach - Playa Hotel Don Carlos Carretera de Cadiz 29600 KM. 192 ; tel. +34 952 836 239
- Olivia Valere - upscale restaurant, bar and disco; Ctra. de Istan – Km.0,8 29600 Marbella; tel. +34 952 82 88 61
- Le, C/Cuesta S/N Urb Marbesa CN340 KM 193 Marbella, ☎ +34 952 834 113 (email@example.com), . 11AM until late. Situated on the at Marbesa. Menu which includes a selection of fresh fish and shellfish and some meat dishes. The seafood paella is popular. Sunlounger and umbrella rental service and a kids play area. From 12€.
- Pravda, Ed. Levante Loc. 4-5, 29660 Puerto Banús (Front row of the Port, opposite Jimmy Choo and Dolce & Gabbana), ☎ +34 952 907 103,. 19:00 – 02:00. A wide variety of fine wine, Champagne and cocktails can be enjoyed either at the stylish bar or in the late evening sun on the back terrace. Located on the harbor-side in the middle of the port it makes a great location for, ‘Sun-Downer’ cocktails or for post dinner drinks. €10.
- Paco Jimenez Restaurant, Plaza de los Naranjos Nº11 (on the corner above the art gallery), ☎ +34 627625952. tuesday-sundays: 7pm to 10pm/thrusday to sundays:12 noon to 10 pm. As soon as you enter this restaurant you will feel the passion and creativity in the paintings of the walls and the plates delicately and beautifully decorated. Its Mediterranean, Spanish and International food will surprise and satisfy you. The exclusive space with only 20 covers, kindly attention, experienced chef and nice environment makes this a unique restaurant. 35 to 45 euros.
- Gibraltar - visit the historical British Colony, climb the famous rock and see the mischievous Barbary Apes. NB You will need your passport as the Spanish Guardia operate a full border control.
- Puerto Banús - is the famous yacht marina, lined with popular bars and restaurants, and a veritable posers’ paradise. Plenty of late night bars and the odd celebrity are to be found here, but don’t forget your wallet, it’s not cheap! Some 7 km along the beach.
Text taken under Creative Commons Licence.